Dr. Vaibhav Dubey
MBBS, MD (Psychiatry)
Dr Vaibhav Dubey is a well known young psychiatrist in the city of lakes, Bhopal, India.
Helping Yourself to Beat DepressionPosted by : Dr. Vaibhav Dubey
If you have depression, you may feel exhausted, helpless, and hopeless. It may be extremely difficult to take any action to help yourself. But as you begin to recognize your depression and begin treatment, you will start to feel better.
To Help Yourself
· 1.Do not wait too long to get evaluated or treated. There is research showing the longer one waits, the greater the impairment can be down the road. Try to see a professional as soon as possible.
· 2.Try to be active and exercise. Go to a movie, a ballgame, or another event or activity that you once enjoyed.
· 3.Set realistic goals for yourself.
· 4.Break up large tasks into small ones, set some priorities and do what you can as you can.
· 5.Try to spend time with other people and confide in a trusted friend or relative. Try not to isolate yourself, and let others help you.
· 6.Expect your mood to improve gradually, not immediately. Do not expect to suddenly "snap out of" your depression. Often during treatment for depression, sleep and appetite will begin to improve before your depressed mood lifts.
· 7.Postpone important decisions, such as getting married or divorced or changing jobs, until you feel better. Discuss decisions with others who know you well and have a more objective view of your situation.
· 8.Remember that positive thinking will replace negative thoughts as your depression responds to treatment.
· 9.Continue to educate yourself about depression